Sunday 1 January 2017

2016 Investing Report Card

Year 2016 Closes, Results and Returns

2016 closes and with SGXcafe calculating returns on a daily basis, I knew what was coming before the year ended. Disappointingly, my portfolio underperformed STI ETF returns this year - the first time since 5 years of investment. With the negative losses last year, it was quite disappointing to have not grown my investment this year as well.

2016 Portfolio XIRR: -2.215%
STI ETF XIRR: 2.864%

Fun Facts

For now, let's lighten up the mood for some infographic about my portfolio movement this year:


Dividends Goals

With regards to $1000 the dividend goal I had set for 2016, you can see that I have narrowly missed it with $954.25. This partly due to Singpost's tightening dividend policy as well as Falcon Energy not yielding any dividend this year.

For 2017, I hope to increase my dividend received to the tune of $1100. Building up a portfolio that can gives me a steady income stream is one of my retirement goals for the long long term, and I hope that I am able to slowly accomplish this goal.

To increase the dividend, one way is to focus on purchasing stocks that are dividend-yielding and have the cash flow to support it. Monthly investment in STI ETF with my siblings will also contribute in a minor way, probably to cover the shortfalls from the dividend cut by Singpost.

Going Forward

Despite these two years of negative returns, I aim to keep the course. But it has certainly made me re-assess the way I look at gains. A problem is me not realizing profits only to watch it slip away and never coming back. One part of me always wants to be noble and be a "long-term investor". The other part is Graham's and Buffet's mantra of only buying companies where you will never give it up. Falcon Energy has been a bummer and I hope it proves itself in 2017.

For further pickings, I have a few stocks in my mind for research and considerations. Working gives me an steady income to invest but it takes time away from research and homework. But I hope to stay the course and just keep moving ---- towards financial freedom!


No comments:

Post a Comment