Sunday 3 January 2016

My Stock Holdings (December) & Happy New Year 2016!


2015 stock market closed without a bang, neither a plunge. But it's undoubtedly a bad fairly lousy year. Starting the year at 3370.59 and ending it at 2893.19, STI dropped 14.16% excluding dividends. Oil price had bottomed to a 11-year low and does not seem to be recovering any time soon. Relevant companies in the oil industries had taken a hit, in particular Keppel Corp and SembCorp.

In my own portfolio, SingPost dropped almost 8% partly because of its CEO's departure and corporate governance problems. In my previous posts on SingPost, I mentioned how much I admired Wolfgang Baier's leadership in transforming SingPost. Now that he is actually gone, a closer watch on SingPost's performance in e-Commerce will be warranted.

Consistently under-performing stocks in my portfolio will also be reviewed soon. (once I submit my FYP report) These stocks actually include Bank of Ireland (BKIR) and HPH Trust. Since buying them almost 2 years back, they had returned almost zero returns. In fact, accounting for inflation and further brokerage fees and foreign custody fees, they were probably negative returns. In the long term, I am pessimistic about HPH Trust since there is little impetus for the share price. Management guidance of allowing dividend payout to follow cash flow should further compress dividend yield. For Bank of Ireland, there should be a slow recovery of its business towards declaring dividend late 2016 or early 2017. However, holding BKIR incurs foreign custody fee at POEMS and it is very vexing. Given the time, I would love to assess whether switching out BKIR and HPH Trust are preferable. (using capital budgeting concepts I learnt in FIN2004X!)

Rounding the "My Stock Holdings" posts for the year, below is the distribution of my portfolio at the end of December.


I received $150 from k1 Ventures through its capital reduction exercise. Adding it all up for the year, I had received $863.19 in 2015!

Since I will be working in mid-2016, I shall aim to achieve $1000 worth of dividend in 2016! This means putting some portion of salary into the stock market, maybe through dollar-cost averaging of STI ETF! Lastly, I shall write another post regarding my investing performance for 2015 as I started my records on 13 January of last year. Included will be breakdown of my Buys and Sells etc. Since I have not sat down to look at my records, writing that post is equally exciting for me!

Once again, Happy New Year and here's wishing everyone out there a prosperous and joyous year ahead! HUAT AH!

No comments:

Post a Comment