Sunday 2 April 2017

Frenzy State

Caught up in a company project, I have not been devoting time to investing as much as I would like it to be. However, these past months, it had been disheartening to see the stock market rocketing while my portfolio languish due to legacy stocks and staying on the sidelines.

I've also been kicked a hard lesson with regards to doing my homework before investing in anything. I admit that I have been caught up in the frenzy of stock market, buying stocks without so much as doing some calculations. This few months, I had actually did some shuffle in my portfolio without much research. 

Here are some of my transactions I did without announcing it here due to a lack of time. From hindsight, most are of poor choice and I really attribute it to the lack of steadfastness in this volatile stock market. 

1) Sold ST Eng @ $3.62 (Wanted to take some profits off the table)
2) Sold Falcon Energy @ $0.128 (I capitulated on this stocks due to the poor outlook, it is not impossible to see this below 10c given the poor performance. However, it did rebound strongly last week to my dismay)
3) Bought Far East Orchard @ $1.685 (Bought on the day some cooling measures were announced. I have eyed this stock for a while due to it trading at a strong discount to book. Good dividend every year. Took into account some measure of takeover play as well)
4) Bought Serial System @ $0.186 (Sam Goi has been buying into it. It has a stable dividend history with good volume. Rare that a stock being "played" has a good dividend payout. Bought it with the hope of riding on Sam Goi's wave)
5) Bought Silverlake Axis @ $0.57 (Technology stock, steady dividend though business has deteriorated. Given that the economy seems to be recovering, a strong comeback in banks may give this stock some business. Waiting for the special dividend as well. Good potential overall with most risk due to its legacy short-seller's report)

As you can see, my investing has been haphazard and I am not proud of it. It is definitely not me. But the lack of time to invest, coupled with colleagues that check stock and telling me about their returns, coupled with the fear of losing out in the market spurred me to do this transactions. Hopefully they do not fail me. Last thing I want is to be caught in the peak of market as many had done before me. As of now, the stocks I had bought are not at astronomical valuation but it is not with the same level of undervalued-ness I had bought before.

2 comments:

  1. Hi SPR,
    Thanks for the comment at my blog. Think it is better to drop by here as well.
    Looking at your blogger's profile, it looks like we are from the same logistics industry. I wonder if we are even working at the same company! Anyway, nice blog there. Do share if you are working at Changi and from a freight forwarder/ ocean carrier firm? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frowns88, sorry to disappoint but I don't work in Changi or maritime sector. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete