Monday 4 April 2016

My Stock Holdings (March 2016)

After a long wait, I can finally sit down and count my gains for the month of March! With the Singapore stock market in the doldrums for the first two months, there were finally some rebound even though I did not enter anything prior to it. However, as I also did not let go of any stock, it meant my portfolio clawed back some gains.

This also highlighted how investing is actually advantageous to constant trading. According to this article, missing just the best ten days of S&P in the period between 1993-2013 will cost the investor a 3.8% drop in annualized returns. While many will argue that trading is better as one can let go of stocks at the highest and buyback at a lower point, I can assuredly say that I neither have the skills nor the time. Hence, as a student and eventually a working adult, passive investing will still be the way to go.

On the matter of dividends, I received a total of $227.42 for the month of March. This amount was disbursed from HPH Trust, SingPost and Karin Tech. Hence for the first three months, the total dividends received comes up to $261.57, a little over a quarter of my dividend goal this year.

Also, I had bought GLP on 31 Mar 2016 for a cost of $1.955. A little high, but through the average of valuation methods which I may subsequently write about,  the fair value price of GLP I came up with was actually $2.42. Coupled with GIC being the majority shareholder, I feel that there is some merit to the purchase of GLP. With the addition of GLP, the breakdown of my portfolio is shown below. Let's hope 2016 is a good year for all in the stock market =)


No comments:

Post a Comment